Originally posted for DMXENGAGE on August 27.
Anyone in the marketing industry knows that email marketing is good. And when email marketing is done well, it’s even better. As a self-professed email marketing nerd, I often get responses like “Oh, so you are the one that is spamming my inbox!” when I tell my peers what I do for a living (by the way, good sir, there is a LOT of work that goes into that “spam,” but that is for another blog post). I digress. There are always a few emails that stop me in my tracks, and the most recent showstopper is complements of Hinge.
If you aren’t familiar with Hinge, I am envious. Hinge is a mobile dating app that “matches” you with potential romantic partners based on your mutual Facebook friends. As a recently single Millennial, it seemed like the thing to do. Although after several weeks of “matching” with less than ideal candidates, I said goodbye to my digital matchmaker.
It’s been 3 stress-free, match-free, flirt-free weeks and I was embracing the free feeling. Until today. When I received this:
Dammit Hinge. Now I HAVE to know who these “potential” matches are, and you picked a wonderfully handsome gentleman to serve as my ideal “potential” (if you are reading this, I enjoy hiking, reading and talking about marketing automation). Now I am seriously considering re-entering the world of digital dating, all because of this one email.
This is why it worked:
- I got an email from Hinge
- What? I don’t even remember giving them my email or caring why, but I see the method to your madness now Hinge
- The subject line caught my eye….
- The ellipsis had me guessing what I would see when I opened the email (side note: I was not disappointed)
- The body copy is short and sweet with another challenge-inspiring ellipsis and, as I mentioned before, an intriguing image and potential match
- The call to action “View More” pulled on my heart strings and has me wondering how many other gentleman have liked my profile…
- And drops me to a landing page that asks me to re-download the app (womp, womp…still intrigued though)
- For those lucky in love, they ask to share the success stories
- And the piece de resistance:
- You are RIGHT Hinge, I AM awesome.
(And I am probably going to re-download your app. Perfect execution, you dating master.)